Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Sunday, December 31, 2017

Sunday Trading

The weather was pretty disgusting this morning.

The heat was oppressive and the hot winds made boating/fishing dangerous, so people were stuck on land with little to do apart from swim and perhaps fish off the banks of the river.

I figured that there might be people around, looking for something to do so I decided to open the shop for a few hours.

The first hour was busy with people looking to spend some cash. The second hour was full of people popping in for a look - people who were out walking but not carrying money and who might come back tomorrow. The third hour had a couple of stragglers come in while they waited for their food to be ready at the cafe nearby.

After that, Adoring Husband called to say that there were severe weather warnings about and he was worried about me getting home, so I decided to shut up shop and head home. He came to the shop to help me bring everything in and carry some of my paraphernalia home in the car, which was very helpful.

I stopped at the supermarket to pick up some nibbles and fruit, figuring that we would spend the afternoon playing trivia and possible seeing in the new year over food and fun while the storms swelled around us.

I made it home with plenty of time to spare, but Primrose was missing and had been for quite a while apparently, so I changed my plan for the afternoon and decided to use the time to set up my new camera.

A massive storm hit at about 5pm. Strong winds and 80mm of rain in about 20 minutes. There was intermittent hail, the size of golf balls, hitting the roof which was of some concern for a while, but it didn't get heavy thank goodness and I don't think we copped any damage, although we haven't checked our roof or solar panels yet.

The back yard had some minor flooding and the psychotic dogs, as well as Adoring Husband were panicking a whole lot more than I was. I could still feel the fear inside me, but it was much easier to control after I closed the blinds all through the house.

I didn't feel the need to stack my devices in the walk in robe and I was able to stand at the back door and watch through the sliding doors with Primrose. Even though the tornado hit us five years ago now, I couldn't have stood at the back door even a year ago because of the fear.

Adoring Husband was called out on a job for SES and I cooked up some chicken which Primrose and I ate on toasted bread rolls with salad. The rest was put on a plate in the fridge for AH to eat upon his return home.

I've set up my new camera now, so I will take it out for a test run tomorrow. Hopefully the storms will have cooled the weather down a bit and we can enjoy some beach time. Crabs, turtles and eagles are on my hopeful wish list.

I imagine that a lot of New Years Eve celebrations have been cancelled tonight and right now, at 10.42pm, there are still a few storms about and heading in our direction.

I wonder how all the campers have fared in this weather ... I know that some friends were caught at Woodgate in the camp grounds and were evacuated after the first storm caused more than 20 trees to be downed and cars damaged. The weather looks pretty nasty north of us, from Bundaberg to Rockhampton.

As Primrose stated this afternoon, 2017 is ending with a bang!

So I'm off to bed now.

Wishing you all a wonderful 2018 full of love, luck, happiness and prosperity. For those of you who need the message ... take control and make it as you wish it to be! I plan on having an amazing 2018!

Nite all.

No comments: