Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Christmas & Boxing Days

It's been a lovely Christmas.

It began slowly with a lazy morning in bed with coffee.

When I finally felt the urge, I showered and made myself Christmassy presentable and headed to the kitchen to make our breakfast berry smoothy.

I played Aussie Christmas songs while I worked in the kitchen.

While I was doing that, Primrose woke up and poked her head round the corner looking decidedly bemused, before disappearing to also make herself Christmassy presentable.

Primrose made her second appearance in the room dressed and smiling and ready to face Christmas head on!

We all guzzled down our smoothies, decided to have breakfast food AFTER gift giving, and then got comfortable in the lounge room to start handing each other gifts from under the tree.


Adoring Husband was given his first gift and was ordered to wear it immediately ...



... then it was his job, as Chief Elf, to distribute the gifts to us all.

We had a lovely time opening all the thoughtful, meaningful, fun gifts from and to each other followed by hugs and thanks all round. Then it was time to cook up a big feed of bacon and eggs for a late brekky.

After the kitchen clean up, Primrose went for a nap in her room while Adoring Husband napped in his chair and I sat outside in the outdoor area beading some more of my arty farty creation that is going to take me weeks to complete!

It was almost 2pm before we decided to get lunch organised.

Roast pork done in the barbecue, ham, turkey, chicken with three different salads. We pulled bonbons and displayed the fabulous hand made Christmas/beachy twinkling table decoration that Primrose had created for this occasion. Much to the shock and horror of AH and Primrose, I even said 'grace'!


Once our bellies were full, and we had the table cleared, we set up for 3 sessions of Trivial Pursuit and ate copious amounts of potato chips, veggie sticks with guacamole dip and Turkish Delight. Primrose won 2 games of trivia and I won one.

After the games, we decided to watch a movie. Primrose recommended 'The Hitman's Bodyguard' so we watched that on Foxtel and even though it was very violent, the violence was secondary to the humour and the star factor of Ryan Reynolds and Samuel L Jackson together.

Samuel L Jackson's signature phrase 'Mother-f____r' was prominent and apparently there are drinking games that people play so that every time he utters those words, it's a sign to scull an alcoholic drink. We kind of lost count, but he said it approximately 20 times.

We considered bringing a bottle of Tequila into the equation, but decided that I couldn't go to work with a hangover and Primrose couldn't shop the Boxing Day sales with a hangover. Aren't we clever considering the consequences of our actions like that??? Haha. Imagine the damage that 20 shots of tequila could produce?

Today was Boxing Day and The Motivator and I decided to work because the other business owners in town declared that it was the busiest time of the year in our town ... we didn't want to miss out on what that might entail, so we opened the doors at 9am.

Lady Lynn was the first of the Tuesday morning coffee girls to arrive and eventually there were seven of us chatting away and comparing Christmas Day stories. A few of the girls did some serious shopping before they left at around 11am.

It was 2.50 before we had our next customer and then more walked in the door at 3.10pm. That was it.

The other shop owners all complained that it was the quietest Boxing Day they'd ever seen.

Damn!

I left The Motivator and the Fisher King at the shop at about 3.45pm and arrived home to discover that Primrose had walked down to the beach, so I changed my shoes for a pair of thongs and pedalled down there to find her.

There were a hell of lot of people along the river bank and on the beach ... I wished I'd brought some postcards from the shop to hand out and let them all know that The Happy Abode was in existence and I might just do that tomorrow!

While dinner was cooking (and luckily I had Primrose to monitor the cooking process) I had two different phone calls and chatted with Number One son and Bubbles, which took almost an hour.

Of course, we all had to sit down and watch the Dr Who Christmas special tonight (I kept myself occupied on my laptop while AH and Primrose were engrossed in the show) and now that I have fulfilled my blog post requirements and made up for missing the Christmas night post, I am off to bed.

It's rapidly approaching 11pm and there are storms approaching so it may be a restless night with the dogs who are all still suffering from PTSD after the tornado in 2013. They stress when they hear thunder or rain or if the wind gets strong. If I'm indoors, I'm ok, but if I'm in the car or outdoors when a storm is approaching, I stress considerably too.

Anyway, that's it from me.

Nite all.

 

No comments: