Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Thursday, May 11, 2017

Hurtle Through Thursday

The day went so quickly!

We left home at 9.30am and returned at 2.30pm.

We picked up Adoring Husband's new reading glasses.

We did a little grocery shopping.

We paid a bill.

We met Best Cousin in the World and Marco Polo for lunch at the Bay Tavern.

We visited one of my most dangerous stores. I walked into Office Works expecting to spend $6. We left, having spent more than $120!! I seriously had to make a conscious decision to stop browsing EVERY aisle and go to the checkout!

We picked up the FROG box on the way home.

This afternoon we watched the animated movie 'Sing'.

As an adult with life experience and a reasonable amount of common sense, I enjoyed it, but I don't think it sends a very good message to children.

Buster Moon, the koala and main character, was an irresponsible business owner, who couldn't pay his bills and used every trick in the book to avoid his responsibilities. He not only lied, but made his secretary lie and pass on his pathetic excuses to avoid being accountable for his actions.

Johnny, the gorilla, was disowned by his father for 1. disappearing in the middle of a crime, the result being incarceration for the father 2. not being anything like his father - and the only reason that the father decided to love him again was because he was singing on television becoming famous.

Rosita, the female pig, was an overworked, unrecognised wife and mother whose 25 kids were out of control and whose husband took her for granted and either completely ignored her or made fun of her. The only way she received any positive attention from any member of her family was when she suddenly became famous in the show.

Ash, the porcupine, was used and manipulated by her overbearing and controlling narcissistic boyfriend, who then picked up another female porcupine 'because Ash had been selected over him for the show and consequently "was never there"for him. She suddenly got his attention when she became famous not just singing, but singing her own song.

Mike, the mouse, was a nasty bully who used violence and aggravation to get what he wanted from the physically and mentally weak. He was a liar and a cheat who got away with everything AND ended up with the girl!

Meena, the elephant, was mercilessly bullied and teased by her father for not taking her singing public and making herself famous (the way he would have IF he had a singing voice) and then she was used by everyone to do their dirty work until she eventually got to sing in the final scene of the movie.

The one small pleasant lesson that we learned right at the end of the move, was to not let fear get in the way of your dreams.

These are the movies that condition our kids to accept all of the negative qualities that each of those animated characters possessed.

It also teaches them that unless you are famous or doing something amazing, they should expect to be treated badly by the people in their world because they are not worthy of anything better.

Anyway, that's my 'take' on the movie SING and if I had children, I would be hesitant to take them to see it.

Don't hate me.

Here it is 9pm and I believe it's possible that I'm in for an early night, which would be great and make for an easy day of work tomorrow, because my brain might function close to maximum capacity!

Nite all.  

No comments: