Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Team Dynamic

The Motivator and I formed what I considered a dynamic team today, and headed off with all of our 'frack free' paraphernalia to ask people how they felt about gas mining in our area.

Having no experience whatsoever in door knocking and cold canvassing, we had a little practise in the car about what we would say when people answered the door and how we would present our spiel.

After a while, we gathered our courage, climbed out of the car and headed towards our first house, me with the bright yellow 'Lock the Gate' sign in my hands (hoping that it would indicate to the residents that we were not selling religion) and The Motivator with our lime folder full of information packs.

First house - nobody home (except the dog)
Second house - nobody home (except the dog)
Third house - nobody home (except the dog)

Next street.

First house - a man rushed through his open garage door to stop us in our tracks. "No thank you!" he said with a combination of assertion and aggression.

We told him that we weren't selling anything and asked if he knew about the possibility of gas fields in our area and he replied "Yes. I have relatives working in the industry so I'm not interested in anything you have to say".

So we thanked him for his time and moved on.

The next gentleman we came across had previously worked in the industry himself and with the same combination of assertion and aggression, declared that he didn't want 'that mess' coming into our community and wanted to help in any way that he could.

The last house that we visited was the home of Tweedle Dee. She and her husband, Tiny Tim, gave us a warm welcome and offered us tea/coffee/water and then sat down to listen to our story. They both asked lots of questions and enthusiastically supported our cause. It was nice to end our day on a more positive note.

We had been advised that weekends were better for this sort of thing, so we will try again on Saturday.

I got to spend some time on my ebook this afternoon and I sourced some jewellery wholesalers for semi precious gemstone jewellery to sell on the site. So I feel that I accomplished a little today .. though not as much as I'd have liked.

While I'd hoped to spend all day working on the website tomorrow, we have to head into The Bay to visit Best Cousin in the World's husband, Marco Polo. MP had an argument with a grinder and caused enough damage to his leg that he required surgery and a stay in hospital, so we will go in and offer some TLC and perhaps we will make fun of him a bit too!

I didn't have an afternoon coffee today, so I am feeling quite drowsy. It's almost 11pm, so it might be time to sleep.

Nite all.  

No comments: