Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Behind the 8 Ball

I put myself there. Serves myself right.

During the week that I returned home in the middle of my babysitting gig, I was given the details of our lady's luncheon, which would be held two days after my permanent return.

Usually, we attend a cafe or restaurant or bistro within a 30km radius of town. This month, however, we've been invited to one of our lady's homes, on the outskirts of town. She hasn't been able to attend many of our luncheons this year due to parenting responsibilities. Circumstances have changed in her world and it means that she is free to attend on Wednesdays again, and we're all happy that she will be back in the fold.

The deal is, that we all take a plate. I very vigorously, almost aggressively, selected marinated chicken wings as my plate of choice. It's a paleo recipe that I love and which is easy and quick to make.

Anyway, Adoring Husband and I spent the morning in The Bay doing our grocery shopping, and not once did I remember my commitment to lunch.

It was 3pm when I realised that tomorrow is the luncheon and that I did NOT have the chicken wings!

We jumped in the car and drove to the local butchers. Unfortunately, he had JUST used the last of his chicken wings to make mini cutlets.

Now what?

I told the butcher my tale of woe, not that he could do anything about it, and I also told him that I expected, in the future, for him to be more intuitive and to KNOW when I would be making these requests. Next time, I advised him, I expect him to have exactly what I require!

He promised to try.

I decided, instead, to make chicken and pork mini meatballs with a dipping sauce. For good measure, and because we have a glut of home grown eggs, I also decided to make devilled eggs.

I boiled the eggs when we got home, and then at 8pm, I opened the kitchen for service. I winged it, and made the devilled eggs, not from a recipe, but from my imagination. I mixed up the mince with a bunch of other stuff and made 50 mini meatballs, which are now in the fridge waiting for me to cook them up tomorrow morning.

I cooked 4 of them for a taste test and they are ok, but will definitely require a nice dipping sauce.

My other chore tomorrow morning, will be to make up some dog food! I've cooked up the pumpkin, so it's a matter of blending all the other goodies and then mixing it all with the raw meat and packing it into containers.

Honestly, I've put myself unnecessarily behind the eight ball and I'm feeling the pressure. Hopefully, it will all run smoothly tomorrow morning and I can enjoy a relaxing lunch with the girls.

Time for bed.

Nite all.

No comments: