Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Monday, May 2, 2016

Procrastination and Distraction

My day began with such good intentions!

I looked at my desk and work area, remembering that two months ago, I announced here, with an accompanying 'before' photo, that I would clean it out and share an 'after' photo, in 2 days, or two weeks or two months.

Well, the two months is up and this morning, I felt motivated! Here is the new 'before' photo ...


I pedalled to the Seat of Knowledge to see the boys, bought my morning coffee and came straight home to begin my chore.

Where to start?

I decided to start with the drawers of beads, charms and other jewellery making paraphernalia. I checked online to see how other people sell their beads and began bagging them in colours and 250gm ziplock bags.


While I was doing this, I remembered that I was going to make clearing my office, part of my vision board! So with the skills of a great procrastinator, I left the bags of beads and the scales on the kitchen bench and headed into the back room where I had stored my vision board.

I laid it on the ironing board and gathered my books, magazines, cards, pictures and quotes, ready to create a masterpiece. I cut out a couple of pictures and stuck them on the board and then placed other pieces in strategic places.


For some reason, unknown to me, I opened the top drawer of the dresser in that room and began emptying out the contents. I was in de-clutter mode and decided that if I hadn't used anything in the drawers for years, then I needed to remove them from the house!

Twenty minutes later, with that drawer very much lighter and a pile of unwanted 'stuff' on the floor, I turned back to the vision board and while browsing through my life diary, I decided that I needed photos of yoga, meditation, walking along the beach and rebounding for the physical health part of my board.

This led me to the next bedroom where the giant bookshelf is stored.

Big mistake!

Twenty minutes later, I had the dining table half covered with books that I don't want to keep anymore, but none of the pictures that my original search was for!


So, in the space of about two hours, I'd covered the kitchen bench with beads, charms and plastic bags. I'd covered the ironing board and a single bed with books, magazines, cards, quotes, scissors, sticky tape and glue. I'd made a pile of unwanted clutter on the floor of the spare room. I'd partially covered the dining table with unwanted books and I had achieved absolutely nothing!!

Adoring Husband arrived home from his morning at the SES shed and I had to clear as much stuff as possible to organise lunch.

Then we watched two movies together!

Then it was time for dinner.

The story of my life.

Procrastination.

Distraction.

It's all over for me!

Let's hope I can find some dregs of today's motivation, tomorrow, so that I can put a much bigger dent in my original plan that was for today!

*sigh*

Nite all.    

No comments: