Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Monday, March 21, 2016

Pretty Chuffed!

So this happened today!!


My bucket list for this year includes 'learning a musical instrument'. I had two instruments in mind, when I made that list and they were piano or guitar. If I was going to learn the piano, I would choose something like a baby grand and definitely not an electronic keyboard. So the difference in the price of a baby grand piano (around $6000 for second hand and up to $19000 for new) or a guitar ($200 - $3500), made the choice pretty easy.

Adoring Husband knew about my bucket list and decided that he would buy a guitar for my birthday (which is still a month away), so we stopped at the music shop in The Bay to ask some questions and check out some prices.

The young man who served us, was 30yrs old (I remember a time in my life when I thought 30 was SO OLD!) and he has been playing guitar for 17 years. He pointed out our best options and then played a couple of them so that I could choose the sound that I liked. Unfortunately, the sound that I liked the best came from a guitar that was way too big for me! He explained that getting the smaller size, changed the sound completely, so that wasn't an option.

I sat down and held a couple of them, and strummed the strings (I have no idea how to play) and I eventually selected the one I liked. I chose a book 'The Ultimate Guitar Chord Chart' so that I could teach myself the chords, and the young man (why didn't I get his name?) told us that he gives lessons at his place, which is an option for the future.

I know a few people around town who play guitar. Both of my sons-in-law play.

My best find for the day is Youtube!! Video after video of guitar lessons for all levels of players, from beginners and beyond. Here is the first one on the list.  



So I'm a bit excited!

What else happened today? Lunch on the water ...


It was about 5pm by the time we returned home. A big day of shopping, repairing Adoring Husband's glasses, new head phones because I've broken two sets in the last month, choosing a yoga mat (for meditation on the beach) and some art supplies because I've decided to attempt some sketching.


I've attempted to sketch once or twice in my life. I loved to sketch when I was 14 or 15 and always did very well in the subject of art at school. I had big plans to become a commercial artist, but was gently discouraged by my parents. A couple of times in my adult life, I got the bug, and scribbled a bit, but never pursued it.

To become good at any kind of art, like anything else in life, you need to practise a lot. I've never done that, but I think I could probably do that now. I have the bug again, so I'll see where it leads me. I've posted my 'beginning' sketch here and maybe, in a couple of months, I can post a new improved version, so that you can see my progress!

Finally a quick nosh up for dinner, considering how late we arrived home from The Bay, and by the time we unpacked the car and gave everything a home, a quick dinner was in order.


I'm feeling pretty chuffed about my day!

Nite all.

No comments: