Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Thursday, March 3, 2016

A Day in The Bay

Word for the day 'drapetomania' - (n.) an overwhelming urge to run away.

The history of that word is not pleasant, but I won't go there.

I think I suffered from drapetomania for a lot of the time that I lived in Sydney.

There was no cleaning or de-cluttering today.

Instead we spent the day in The Bay. The first stop was Go Natural where I stocked up on organic chicken carcasses for my broth, a whole chicken, a tub of plain coconut yoghurt, a jar of kimchi, organic apples, coconut water, almond meal, coconut flour and a couple of other odds and ends.

We bought coffee from the place next door to Go Natural (I can't remember the name of the shop). They refuse to provide (with a sign on the counter to warn us)

  • sugar
  • anything extra large
  • anything extra hot
  • any syrup that you can normally buy at a coffee shop
They have a couple of GF options for sweets and one very delicious looking option for a lunch meal each day. I keep coconut sugar and plastic spoons in the glove box of the car specifically for when we buy coffee at this shop. The coffee is delicious, but I don't think they make it hot enough.

Next stop was the mower shop for some new blades.

We selected the Bay Central Tavern as our stop for lunch. The tavern has just completed major renovations and they've done a great job. It has a nice friendly atmosphere and there is a large sports bar, a well hidden poker machine area and a lovely restaurant which includes the huge deck that wraps around two sides of the building.

The food was nice, but a touch bland. There were only three GF options and they were quite expensive. Lunch with a drink each cost $63.50 altogether. I don't think it was good value for money, but apparently, our lady's group is going there for lunch this month, so I'll give them a second chance.


It was nice to spend the day out with Adoring Husband.

After lunch we did some more grocery shopping, I bought what I hope will be the winning Ozlotto ticket and found a big tin money box to help me save money for the next road trip (just in case lotto doesn't pan out). I stole AH's $2 coins to start my saving stash.

We picked up our FROG  box and arrived home mid afternoon.

Plenty of time to prepare for the first NRL game of the season between my team, the Brisbane Broncos and Parramatta Eels. Broncos won 17 - 4 and I picked the margin correctly in the WWOS footy tipping competition! Yay for me!

I'm so excited that the football season has started for 2016! I always miss it over the Summer.

I'm now watching Pretty Woman. One of my favourite movies. It always reminds me of Mum.

I forgot to mention yesterday (Wednesday) that it was the 37th anniversary of (my first son) Jamie's death. I'm pretty certain that there are only two people left on this earth, who remember Jamie's birth and death dates. (Thank you Grannymus for your email).

I kind of feel sad that there is nobody else left who can remember that he existed and who can remember the important dates connected to him. He is just a distant memory to my brother and sister, they don't remember the dates and never mention him.

I really must take the time to scan some old photos and share them on here, just so that they will be saved for posterity. You never know when someone in the future might wonder about him.

For any new readers, who don't know this story, Jamie was my first child, born 31st October 1978 and died of SIDS at the age of 17 weeks on 2nd March 1979.

It was a big year that year. In the space of twelve months, I got engaged, fell pregnant, turned 18, got married, gave birth 9 wks early to a baby who spent the first 8 weeks of his life in hospital, brought him home in time for Christmas and 9 weeks later, attended his funeral.

Inside the following five years, I gave birth to three healthy babies, and they have all grown into fabulous adults, so there was a happy ending!

I guess I can use this blog to keep Jamie's memory alive each year.

It has been a good day today! Tomorrow I might have a go at this 'cleaning' and 'de-cluttering' business. Small steps might make it work. I'm more of a 'big picture' kind of girl, so 'small steps' are tricky for me. I'm certain that I can do it.

Nite all.

1 comment:

❦❧Judi❦❧ said...

💙💙💙💙 For Jamie. I think our children are still in everybody's heart if not mind Roz. Big virtual hugs for you. Xox