Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Happy and Sad

This short video actually brought a tear to my eye. The looks of genuine shock or disbelief when the person who created the video tells them they are beautiful, triggered some serious emotions in me.



It reminded me of our last dinner party when I asked our guests to name something that they loved about themselves, and they became very uncomfortable and struggled to come up with a response.

Admittedly, it was not a planned question and while I was interested in what our friends had to say, I hadn't thought about my own response, and I too struggled to find an answer!

So I found some questions that I'm going to answer and perhaps you could think of your own answers...

1.  The world needs?  More kindness.
2.  My first concert was Johnny Farnham 1972 (my second was The Jackson Five 1973)
3.  What song reminds you of your childhood? 'Red Roses for a Blue Lady' which my father played over and over after he got caught having an affair and my mother left him, and my brother and I, for 6 months.
4.  What is your favourite memory of your father? Fishing with him, two months before he died, and catching my first edible fish.
5.  What do you want your friends and family to remember about you? That I am happy with my life.
6.  If you could say something that the entire world would hear, what would it be? "Be kind to each other."
7.  What are you excited about in your life right now? Having my teeth fixed to improve my oral health, which I hope in turn, will be the final key to improving my overall health.
8.  If someone made a movie about your life, what would the title be?  "The Great Escape" because for decades, my life was a series of escapes from the wrong people, stupid decisions and bad situations.
9.  What is the hardest lesson you've had to learn?  Opening your mind means that life and beliefs are ever changing and developing and growing. Nothing is set in stone.
10.  What do you like to do first thing in the morning?  Spend thirty minutes alone before facing the world.
11.  If someone gave you $100 today, what would you spend it on?  As much as I want to say 'something to help the less fortunate' .. I would spend it on professional cleaners to spring clean my house!
12.  Who made you smile today and why?  My girls over morning tea ... talking about life.
13.  What do you know for sure?  The only truth that I can know for sure, is my own truth.
14.  What is your favourite smell?  Fresh .. all things fresh .. fresh new baby or puppy, fresh herbs, freshly ground coffee beans, fresh lemons, fresh air etc etc.
15.  What belief do you have, that you feel has held you back? That I'm not enough.
16.  What is your favourite memory of your mother?  When I was 17, she defended me to my father, who thought I was too young and stupid to make the right decision about a boy I wanted to go out with. She told him that I was a smart girl and that they had to give me the freedom to grow up.
17.  If you could choose any career, what would it be?  Healer.
18.  What's your favourite colour?  Yellow.
19.  What is your biggest regret?  Believing that I wasn't enough.
20.  What do you wish you possessed?  A better memory for names, faces and knowledge.

Some of that was a bit intense! Let's lighten the mood!!

I think I might go for a walk along the beach tomorrow and collect some driftwood to make this gorgeous tree to hang in the outdoor area. Such a clever idea!



Nite all.

No comments: