Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Sunday, November 29, 2015

Train Travel with a Difference

It was a fairly hectic morning, although I was able to do everything I needed to do, with time to spare.

I batched up about a dozen containers of chicken bone broth and then used the remainder to make a casserole for Adoring Husband, hopefully to keep him fed for the two nights that I'm away.

I packed a small backpack with some make-up and toiletries. I have almost everything that I need permanently based in my second home now, so I can travel light from now on.

I showered, washing, blow drying and straightening my hair and applied make-up .. all of which are fairly epic tasks that require about an hour to complete.

We arrived at the train station with about 15 minutes to spare, but the train arrived ten minutes early!! Unheard of!!

It was the old diesel train, which takes three hours to travel the same distance that it takes the tilt train two hours to complete.

This train is quite dark and dingy, with no TV screens for entertainment and quite a bit less leg room with their seats. I was seated beside a young man who was feasting on a train meal heated in a foil container, which smelled delicious but looked pretty dodgy.

I decided to head to the front of the train to get my free coffee, using the voucher that they issued when they checked my ticket. When I finally got there (and it's a hell of a hike along 5 carriages, opening four doors between each carriage and stepping over the old wobbly carriage connections), the club car was only partially filled, so I took ownership of a booth and set myself up with my ipad and settled in for the trip.

It was very spacious and very comfortable with big windows that let in plenty of light. I was having a wonderfully peaceful time, when the queue to the kiosk suddenly seemed to grow longer snaking through the carriage, past me and reaching the door at the other end. Everybody was talking and it was noisy and much less comfortable. The people standing in the queue had trouble keeping their footing as the train snaked around some tricky bends.

A woman, I guess in her late 60s (her oldest child was a 44 yr old son), requested permission to sit at my booth, just until she ate her meal. I welcomed her and even offered her the cake that came with my coffee, which she accepted with gratitude.

She was a woman 'of God' and her job was to assist recovering alcoholics and drug addicts. She had recently returned from six months working in China in an orphanage and had sole car of eleven children with Cerebral Palsy. One of her sons was a Pastor in the church (I'm not sure which religion) and she had many a tale to tell.

Once I got over my initial dread that I had to endure this woman for the entire trip, and opened my mind to what she was talking about, she really was a very interesting woman. Every so often she would preach a little and tell me about how the "Lord provides for us all" or "Lord heals us all" or "Lord blesses us with something special every day" etc etc etc., but generally she kept it about her experiences with broken young people and described many success stories and the sort of work that she does.

I was impressed with her enthusiasm and positive outlook (considering her work) and how strong her faith was. When it was time for me to disembark, I shook her hand and told her what a pleasure it was chatting with her. She promised to pray for the Lord to heal Adoring Husband of his Parkinsons .. so I expect his complete recovery by the time I return home on Tuesday!

The Bare-chested Chef was waiting for me at the station (he picked me up during his break from work) and I arrived at the house to find a very excited little Chicklet laughing with delight that I had returned so quickly. I got thirty minutes of chat in with Vegan Chickie, before it was time for Chicklet to get my undivided attention.

We had a lovely afternoon playing with the giant spider that I'd brought with me (a leftover decoration from Halloween). Vegan Chickie had made a delicious meat and veg casserole for dinner and after we ate, there was more play, bath time, story time and then sleep ... but only after Mama came to the bedroom!

Vegan Chickie and I then had some time together and now I am ready for sleep. Oh and VC fixed my new phone with all of my contacts and email!! It took her less than two minutes .. honestly *rolls eyes* .. it was so simple, I feel like a right doofus!

Tomorrow is the big day, and now I'm starting to feel nervous and anxious. Wish me luck!

Nite all.  

No comments: