Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Thursday, November 19, 2015

In the arms of Home.

It was just before 8am and there I was, still in my pyjamas and all snuggled up with Chicklet on my bed, watching the kid's movie "The Boxtrolls" on her laptop. Dadu had just served her breakfast in bed and she was pointing out some funny stuff in the movie, when my phone rang.

It was Adoring Husband. I answered it thinking that he was going to tell me that he had just left, or that he was at Gympie and wouldn't be long. Here is the conversation:

Me: Hullo
Him: Hullo Darling, how are you?
Me: I'm great! How are you?
Him: Good. What are you doing?
Me: I'm in bed with Chicklet watching a movie.
Him: Well, do you think you could come open the front door for me?

Luckily, I had packed my suitcase last night, but it still took me a good hour to pack up the rest of my gear, have a shower and get ready for the day.

Don't get me wrong. It was wonderful to see his smiling face at the door and we needed an early start, but none of us were prepared for his early appearance! I think we all felt a bit discombobulated, so Chicklet kept him occupied while we all got ourselves 'together'.

When we were finally dressed and ready to face the day, we all climbed into our cars and drove to Sunspace, where we sat outside under the awning, enjoying a tasty breakfast and coffee and sunshine. Chicklet got to run around in the big garden space and Vegan Chickie got to have food stolen from her hand by a Butcher Bird JUST as she was about to place it in her mouth! It all happened so quickly!! Shocking!

We left there at 11am, saying our goodbyes to the Chicklet family. Little Chicklet was disappointed .. I think she was expecting AH and I to tag team .. that I would leave and Poppy would stay with her!

We had a smooth run home and picked up our FROG box on the way, as well as our regular order from the butcher, checked the PO Box and bought coffee .. oh how I missed my coffee! The coffee that I had while I was away was pretty good, but only one of them was as good or better than my usual coffee from here.

It was about 2.15pm when we pulled into our driveway.

The entire afternoon was spent unpacking. AH and I unwrapped last year's christmas and birthday gifts that my niece left on Chicklet's doorstep for us at 11.30 last night. My sister failed to send them last year and decided to get her daughter to drop them to me on a trip to Brisvegas! So that was fun!

I unpacked the FROG box and the butcher order, then unpacked everything from my time away. Of course I had to cull quite a few items from my wardrobe before I unpacked, so that there would be room for my new clothes!

I watched some X-Factor that AH recorded for me and then made dinner .. crispy skinned chicken with sweet potato chips, fresh asparagus and beans from the garden tossed in butter and garlic, a thick chunk of zucchini fried in beef tallow and some kimchi.

AH complained about how much mess I made in the kitchen, so I told him that he would be cooking from now on!

Now I'm looking forward to sleeping in my own bed ... although I must say that my 'other' bed was very comfortable too and I slept well most nights. I, and the other visitors have worn it in well.

It's good to be home and I really hope that Vegan Chickie gets over her illness and jetlag soon so that she can enjoy being home too.

Nite all.


No comments: