Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Saturday, November 7, 2015

Day Three of Fifteen

So ... I've been using an essential oil called 'Intune'. It's used to enhance focus and support healthy thought processes. I brought it with me to the Sunny Coast, along with lavender for sleeping and oregano as an antibiotic.

For the first few days here, I put a drop of Intune on the inside hem of my top, hoping it would help calm both Vegan Chickie and Chicklet. The pre-holiday stress was obvious and of course, understandable. I also put a drop on the pillow on the side of the bed that Chicklet sits when we watch movies.

I felt like it made a difference.

Yesterday when Chicklet started the day in such a manic state, I put a drop of it on the back of her neck and also a drop on the Bare-chested Chef's neck. Both of them asked me what it was, so I explained it to them.

I felt like it made a difference.

Today, I went to put some on Chicklet's neck and she yelled at me "NO, I'm already calm!!' That made me laugh, so I put the drop onto my finger saying "Ok, I'll put it on myself then!" and tickled her neck.

I feel like it made a difference.

I got my usual 7.30 wake up this morning, as Chicklet burst through my bedroom door with a big smile on her face. Usually, I've been awake for at least 30 minutes before she comes in, but this morning, I was still sound asleep and the abrupt start to my wakefulness was not how I wanted to start my day.

My brain takes at least 20 minutes to reach high gear in the mornings, so having a 4 year old hammering me with questions before it's had a chance to warm up, is a mighty struggle.

In a fit of excitement, and as my brain was desperately trying to make sense of the moment, she tossed a stuffed toy high into the air. It got caught on the ceiling fan (which I permanently have on the highest control level) and it violently jolted the fan as it was tossed full speed against the glass panel of the bedroom window with a massive bang!

"Chicklet!" I blurted. "Ooooh THAT was a bit exciting!" she replied. "No that was a bit dangerous!" I said as Dadu rushed in to find out what all the noise was about. He reminded her of the rules about throwing things inside the house, but thinking back now, her response to the actual incident was quite hilarious.

Dadu came to the rescue and suggested that Chicklet have some breakfast while Bozzy Wozzy has a shower and eases herself into the day. Thank you Dadu. I took my time over a leisurely shower and enjoyed my new skincare routine.

Her first request for the day was to watch me play the Minion game on the Ipad, so we did that for about 20 minutes, when suddenly Dadu appeared to ask if we wanted to be dropped somewhere on his way to work .. we had 10 minutes to get ready!

Dadu dressed Chicklet while I gathered my bag, a hat for both of us, a pre-made bag of snacks, a bottle of water and checked that I had the house keys. We were only going to the bakery, which is about 2kms away and a downhill walk home.

We were dropped off at the little shopping centre, which consists of a Bottle O, a hairdressing salon, a mini supermarket and a bakery. I ordered an 'extra large' latte while Chicklet ordered a meringue bug (don't even go there!) and while we sat enjoying our time together, Mama called from New York, so we had a lovely chat on speaker phone.

It was only 9.30am but very warm so the walk home felt long and laboured. I guess having foot races through the forest tracks didn't help much. Every fourth crack in the concrete footpath was our starting point. Ready? Set? Go!!

It's a very steep but short walk from the edge of the forest walkway to Chicklet's house but we were very hot and bothered by the time we arrived home. We sat under the cool fan playing Mrs Fox and Mrs Fox .. a game where we took turns playing the role of Mrs Fox who went shopping and brought home a bag of goodies for the person waiting at home (the goodies being toys and knick knacks from the play room).

Soon it was 'Chicken Little' time again (surprise surprise).

Lunch consisted of apple with peanut butter and strawberries with my version of nuttella.

Then it was activity time.

We coloured in and hung 8 spirally snakes throughout the house.


We created a couple of pirate pics with A4 paper and pirate stickers.

We built Paris and New York with stickers and paper, then stuck dinosaurs onto the pictures climbing the Eiffel Tower and the Statue of Liberty.

After we cleaned up all the mess, it was time to play under the snake sprinkler again. It was crazy! Forty minutes of screaming, squealing, giggling, full belly laughing, gasping, running and the whole time focussing totally on drenching Bozzy Wozzy. She was successful, much to her delight!

There were storms rolling in the distance, so I decided to put an end to the outside play and we headed to the bathtub for more water play while she washed the mud and grass off.

That's when Dadu arrived home on his work break and took over Chicklet duties while I had a bit of a break myself. I had time to change out of my wet clothes, tidy the bedroom, bring in the washing from the clothes line and figure out what to cook for dinner.

Dadu's request was for Chicklet to draw some mixed breed dinosaurs while he was at work. Apatosaurus head with a Stegosaurus body. A pterodactyl head and wings, with a triceratops body. The list goes on.

After I got her started on the drawings, I made dinner. Chicklet's consisted of 2 boiled eggs, snow peas, red capsicum, carrot, cucumber, radish and beans .. all raw.  She ate it all except the radish and half of the snow peas.

I had chicken and salad.

We read two books at bed time and chatted about the day. Her favourite part of the day was, of course, the snake sprinkler, but also colouring in and hanging the swirly snakes.  Her least favourite part of the day was when I was angry at her for throwing the toy at the fan (I feel like such a meanie).

It took her all of two minutes to fall asleep tonight.

I've done the dishes, tidied up the 'activity area' and my bedroom, which seems to have become the new toy room!

It's been another full day and I'm still feeling good! Day three a success, despite the poor start.

Let's see if I can wake up before my alarm tomorrow morning!

Nite all.


No comments: