Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Saturday, October 3, 2015

Finals Weekend

I sit here on my couch watching the AFL grand final as Hawthorn is annihilating West Coast Eagles. Hawthorn already lead by 43 points and there is still ten minutes left of the second quarter. A disappointing game so far, but games have been known to turn around when you least expect it, so I continue to watch with eager anticipation!

The expectation for tomorrow's NRL grand final is for a much closer game, however, because there are two Queensland teams playing, I really don't mind who wins. Being a Bronco's supporter, I would like them to win of course, but I wouldn't begrudge a Cowboys victory.

I've made an observation over the past week. I seem to have had a more social week than usual and have spent time with a LOT of different people. I've had conversations with at least 60 local people, sometimes one on one, sometimes in group situations.

Something I've noticed, is that few people actually listen when others speak. I don't specifically mean when "I" speak, but when others, in their company, speak.

I've noticed that people mostly wait for a pause in the conversation, so that they can tell their comparable story, all the while, not actually listening to anything but the voice in their own head telling them how to relate their own tale.

Some people don't even wait for a pause. They simply interrupt with a loud forceful voice, making sure that they will be heard above everyone else.

I've also noticed that there are some people who will speak even louder to prevent the other loud person from speaking above them! Then there are those who simply go silent, knowing that they will not be heard if they continue .. or knowing that nobody is really listening to what they have to say.

When this happens to me, I feel empty inside, so I try really hard not to do it to others. I don't know how successful I am because I'm always in group situations and rarely one on one with my friends, but I do try.

There are times when we really need to share 'stuff'.

When it takes a long time to find the courage to share something important, there is nothing more demoralising than being cut off part way through your story, by someone who thinks that sharing their own experience is going to miraculously bring comfort and closure to your problem.

Sometimes we don't need advice or suggestions or a solution. We want to say it out loud and not be judged or compared to or laughed at. We just want to be heard.

Listening seems to be a dying art. I wonder if the death of 'listening' has anything to do with the increase in depression and anxiety in this world?

One of the most sincere
forms of respect 
is actually listening 
to what another 
has to say.

- Bryant McGill

I also found this quote today and wanted to share it ...

 To laugh often and much: to win the respect of
intelligent people and the affection of children;
to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure
the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty;
to find the best in others; to leave the world a bit better
whether by healthy child, a garden patch or a
redeemed social condition; to know that even
one life has breathed easier because you have lived.
This is to have succeeded.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Yesterday, one of the Tawny Frogmouths finally sat on the nest that I was watching grow bigger each day. I was VERY excited to see it!

Today, I looked at the nest and it was empty!!

A Tawny Frogmouth was perched alone on a branch nearby and there on the ground were the remains of an egg or two.

I figure one of two things may have happened.

1. They did a crap job building the nest and the eggs fell out (Tawnies are renowned for poor nest building).

2. Something has happened to one of the Tawnies and the eggs have been tossed because one Tawny cannot take care of them alone.

I hope that number one is the correct answer and that they have the opportunity to repair the nest and try again.

Fingers crossed.

Anyway, that's enough of my philosophical post for today. It's not even 5pm but I guess it's close enough to ...

Nite all.



1 comment:

❦❧Judi❦❧ said...

I'm with you Roz. I try very hard to really listen to what others say...."sometimes" I fail. My husband is a great listener. And you are right the quieter your nature the less you are heard.