Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Read All About It!

I found a very interesting article today about Alzheimer's Disease and a pioneering doctor, by the name of Dale E Bredesen, who is currently in the middle of intensive research and has made some interesting discoveries.

He has made some suggestions, the practise of which, have already improved the health of some of the subjects in his studies. 

His suggestions are ...

1. Eliminate or greatly reduce simple carbohydrates and processed foods from your diet, including sugar, grains and other starches, since they can stir up inflammation in the brain.
2. Add probiotics to your diet
3. Take 5,000 IUs of Vitamin D3 daily.
4. Take a good multivitamin daily.
5. Take Vitamin B6 daily.
6. Take Vitamin B12 daily.
7. Take CoQ10 daily.
8. Add fish oil to your diet.
9. Take coconut oil daily.
10. Exercise rigorously, 30 to 45 minutes, 5 days a week
11. Sleep 8 hours a night.
12. Fast for a minimum 3 hours between dinner and going to bed.
13. Fast a minimum 12 hours between dinner and breakfast
14. Take turmeric daily. Consider taking Ashwagandha and Bacopa monniera daily.
15. If you eat meat, make it chicken, non-farmed fish, and occasional grass-fed beef.
16. Floss your teeth at least twice daily.
17. Meditate daily: adequate sleep and exercise improve blood flow to the brain and instigate neuron generation.
18. Hormone replacement therapy is indicated for women who have a hormonal imbalance that may be affecting brain function.

... and if you're interested in some of his research so far go here.

There is a lot there, but it's quite an easy read .. especially near the bottom where you can read the results of his case studies.

We saw the movie "Ricki and The Flash" today. We all enjoyed it, but we also agreed that we wouldn't recommend that you rush out to see it. It was an interesting storyline that flowed quite well and finished with a 'feel good' ending, albeit predictable. The acting was great and the characters both likeable and loveable. A couple of us got teary in parts. Wait for it to come on TV :)

A couple of photos of the Ringneck Parrot that I forgot to share last week ...



For the first time in twenty years (almost to the day), I have made an appointment with a dentist.

EEP!!

I am terrified of both the experience AND the costs that will be involved! My mouth has a lot of problems including crooked, loose and broken teeth as well as gum problems which I fear, after discussions with a few family members, may be genetic.

However, I expect that once I have my mouth repaired, the last of my niggling health issues may disappear. We all know that problems with gums and teeth affects other areas of our health, so fingers crossed I'll be ready to climb mountains, swim oceans and jump canyons with rejuvenated and abundant health after my final dental visit.

Let the games begin!

Nite all.

No comments: