Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Sunday, August 16, 2015

Commitment-phobic

By commitment-phobic, I mean that when I make a plan for myself, I simply cannot commit to it!

Yesterday's blog post is a perfect example.

I said that I hoped to get up early and go out with my camera .. didn't do it.

I said that I hoped to go through the photos that I took last week while I was away .. didn't do it.

I said that I was going to make a plan to methodically clean my house for Spring .. didn't do it.

I said that I was going to cook a roast dinner .. I DID do that!

For the first time, I used tallow to cook the potato, sweet potato and pumpkin in the oven. It cooked much faster than when I used other oils in the past and the vegetables were well caramelised and the potatoes nicely crisp on the outside. I didn't need to use much, compared to oil either.

So I'm liking the tallow, the duck fat and the ghee for cooking, as well as coconut oil.

I stayed in bed until about 8.30 this morning. An enjoyably lazy start to a Sunday.

I rode to get my coffee and while I waited outside at a table for it to be ready, a lady stopped with her very large dog (a great dane almost the size of a horse) and she asked if it was ok to leave her dog with me while she ordered her coffee inside.

She told me that because these dogs have such large hearts and their bodies are so heavy on their skeleton, their life expectancy is only 8-10 years! How horrible!

I googled "What is the life expectancy of a dog in Australia?"

Australian Shepherd  12-18 years
Shetland Sheepdog  12-13 years
Chihuahua  17 years
Boston Terrier 12-15 years
Jack Russell 12-13 years
Miniature Schnauzer 12-14 years
Shih Tzu 12-16 years
Dachshund 13-15 years
Great Dane 6-8 years (her dog is already 6 years old)

That's just a few from the list and is encouraging for us because we have 2 x chihuahua/maltese and one Shih Tzu/maltese. They were born 6 months apart, each to different parents and the oldest is now 10 years old.

We've been told by a couple of people to expect the worst because dogs only live to about 10-12 yrs.

I poke my tongue out at those people ... although I know that anything can happen, but at least it's nice to know that my dogs have a good life expectancy!

Anyway, while I was looking after this dog, many, many people stopped to pat her and make comment about how huge she was. My coffee came and so did more people, so by the time the crowd had dispersed and the dog returned to her owner, I had finished my coffee, so I ordered another!!

On the way home, I stopped to visit The Motivator and bought some crabs. We chatted til lunch time, mostly because we were often interrupted by customers wanting crabs! A busy Sunday for her!

It took me just over an hour to shell the crabs and put the meat into a container ... I'm getting faster at that!

I watched the end of a movie called 'Serendipity', by which time the footy started.

Adoring Husband arrived home from his SES flood boat training in time to see the end of that game and then watch the second game.

He was a very tired boy and headed off to bed early.

The Paleo Way stories were quite interesting tonight on '60 Minutes' and on 'Sunday Night' and it was good to see the two reporters have great success with their health results and with losing weight. It bothered me a bit that one of the stories still made out that Paleo has a high meat content, but I loved that finally, the stories were positive!!

Hopefully, tomorrow, I WILL have some photos to share here. Wish me luck on that one!

Nite all.

No comments: