Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Monday, July 6, 2015

Ranting Time

We've had a good run, so I shouldn't complain really... BUT ... today is day ten of our road trip and until now, our accommodation in every town has met, or exceeded our expectations. 98% of our meals have been above average and the holiday has been exceptional.

Coffs Harbour, on the other hand, has been pretty dismal. We left the last motel because it was dingy and old and uncomfortable. They tried to charge us $18 a head for breakfast, of which we took one mouthful and walked out of the restaurant refusing to pay. Powdered egg, tough slimy bacon, rock hard stale sausages, soggy hash browns and coffee out of a crappy little machine. $160 per night. Not worth it.

So we got online and spent an hour searching for other accommodation - short notice in school holiday time, difficult I know, but we found this resort room for $190 per night and figured that it had to be a step up from the last place.

Well, the roof gutters are falling down, the front porch is covered in dirt and dead leaves, the walls inside are patched but not finished, half of the power points don't work, we can't get free to air TV (I wanted to watch Kyrgios tonight) and minimal foxtel channels, the windows are filthy, the fly screen in the toilet is covered in dirt and mould, the toilet doesn't flush properly, there is no phone in the unit and it just cost us $16 to do two loads of washing.

Glad to be moving on tomorrow and hopefully will find something better in Port Macquarie, or wherever we decide to stop.

At the last motel, we did meet a lovely couple who are travelling around in a mini van. They celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary in February and the woman turned 70 years of age today! Her husband shouted her a night in the motel for her birthday. We've met some really nice people in our travels.

After abandoning our breakfast, we found a nice cafe and bought a take away coffee, then spent the morning shopping. I bought a beautiful tree pendant with amber stones mimicking fruit. I also found some t-shirts that I've been searching the world over for the Bare-chested Chef, so I grabbed a couple of them while I had the chance.

We found our way to the big shopping plaza and discovered a great little cafe (wish I could remember the name of it) that served up the most delicious chicken salad I've ever tasted. I then spoiled myself and bought a piece of gf orange and almond cake, which was very nice, but I couldn't eat it all.

While we ate lunch, we searched online for our accommodation - I took my laptop into the cafe with me. There wasn't a lot on offer obviously. Aside from it being school holidays, there is a big soccer tournament on in town, so that doesn't help. We have about 30 soccer kids accommodated in the units beside us. They've been pretty quiet though. I imagine they would all be exhausted from playing sports all day!

The weather here is significantly warmer than Armidale! The maximum in Armidale was 12C. The maximum here today was 24C. Beautiful.

Anyway, I'm off to sulk in my bedroom since I can't watch the Kyrgios tennis match tonight.

Nite all.

No comments: