Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Sunday, July 26, 2015

Out of Control

It's been a big couple of days!

Saturday night was Christmas in July. A good time was had by all. The food was good and the entertainment got everybody up dancing. Great prizes for the lucky ticket holders (which was nobody at our table!) and everyone was happy on the night.

I met some new people and had some interesting conversations. I actually got up and danced, which is a rarity for me and it was also great to see a few business owners at tables supporting our local SES. Even nicer to have so many of our friends in attendance. It really made the night for me.

It was all over a lot earlier than I and a few others would have liked, because we were enjoying ourselves and wanted the night to continue for a bit longer.  Better planning next year should extend the night for another hour or so.

I did have a little more wine than I should have, hence the missed blog update last night!

However, not so much that I was too hung over to go to Childers for their annual Multicultural Festival today!

We were up bright and early this morning so that we could arrive in Childers with time to get a good parking position. We like to pay for parking in the Catholic School grounds because it's close to the festival and Adoring Husband is able to unload our shopping when it gets too heavy and be ready to start again!

Also, even though it's Winter, our experience is that it gets very very warm as the day wears on and there is nothing worse than having to walk a couple of kilometres to your car in the hottest part of the day, when you have already spent four or five hours on your feet.

So we arrived there just after 8am. The festival is advertised to commence at 9am, but all of the stalls were operating when we arrived and there was already music being played by some of the musicians at various points along the roadway.

The air was still cool and there were not many people about, so we could browse and take our time and buy without having to fight the crowds.

We bought a giant timber dinosaur for Chicklet, a couple of crystal rocks, a pair of shoes and a silver bracelet (for me) and a box of mixed curry spices, a couple of which we got to taste test in lamb and chicken dishes. So nice! Included in the box was a stack of recipes for various curry dishes, which I'm looking forward to trying.

After a couple of hours, we realised that having skipped breakfast, we were feeling very hungry. I was on the lookout for a Mexican stall that I knew sold delicious GF mini meals packed full of flavour, but after searching the entire festival, the stall was nowhere to be found.

We decided to get some Hungarian sausages with sauerkraut, onion and cheese. It was a great choice and AH went back for seconds. We found ourselves a shady spot under some trees, to sit and eat our brunch while listening to some music.

We enjoyed the sounds of two different bands and a solo musician. Slip on Stereo was the first band, which I enjoyed very much, then a guitarist by the name of Al Davies and then a jazz reggae band by the name of Jahbutu.

It was a great way to spend about an hour.

Eventually, we decided to go check out the rest of the stalls, but by this time, the crowds had built up to the point of 'impossible to manage', so I decided it was time to head home. I don't like crowds that size and it was impossible to see anything because people were two and three deep at each stall. It was even difficult walking up the street through the sea of humans all going in different directions.

It was a relief to reach the car knowing that we would soon be escaping the madness.

As we drove out of town, the parked cars went for miles and large groups of people were all walking towards town. It was obviously only going to get busier. So happy to head home.

It was a great morning. We were disappointed to miss the festival last year, for the first time in seven years, so it was good to reconnect with it this year.

I didn't take my camera today, so I have no photos to share. I DID take photos of Christmas in July, but I haven't had a chance to look at them yet, so watch this space later in the week.

Now I think I need to rest my weary bones so that I can focus on study tomorrow. No excuses this week. Full on study! Essay should be completed by Friday! I need to get ahead so that I can fit in a Chicklet visit soon.

So .. nite all.

  

No comments: