Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Moving On

It got worse.

The bathroom and shower had mould, the air conditioner barely worked and the cabin was like an ice box all night. The bedding didn't make up for the lack of warmth and we both had dreadful nights sleep. One of the front windows was actually broken ... somebody had obviously tried to break in at some point and bent the frame of the window, which meant it couldn't close properly. We went out for dinner, leaving thousands of dollars worth of camera equipment in the room, not to mention jewellery and other valuables and anyone could have climbed in the window and taken it all.

We both rose with the sun ... it was the longest night ever, and we couldn't wait to get out of the place.

I'll be sending them an email when I get home and I'll be putting an unfavourable review on the website.

We decided to head out to Coffs Harbour Yacht Club for breakfast. It was a beautiful sunny morning so we sat out on the deck and enjoyed bacon and eggs and tea and coffee in the sun.

We were excited to get out of Coffs after our two disappointing accommodation experiences, so we quickly headed towards our next destination .. Port Macquarie .. where last night, I booked us a room at Rydges.

We stayed at Rydges a couple of years ago, when Adoring Husband booked it for us on a return trip to Griffith, so we knew it was going to be warm, clean, comfortable and a little bit luxurious, with a great restaurant and close to shopping and clubs.

We arrived early, but our room was ready, so after a quick (and delicious) lunch in a little cafe, we checked in earlier than expected and went on a shopping spree. More jewellery for me .. because you can never have too much jewellery .. remembering that I threw away an entire shopping bad of old jewellery before I came on holidays! Also, it's the only thing that I can fit in my suitcase to take home!!

There were food markets across the road from our motel this afternoon. I wished that we had a kitchen in our room and that we were staying for a couple of days, so that I could buy food and do some cooking. Beautiful fresh fruit and veg. We bought some freshly squeezed orange juice, which was AMAZING.

It was time to freshen up and head out for some more fun.

The Bowls Club entertained us for about an hour and then we decided to come back to the motel for dinner in the restaurant. It turned out to be an excellent decision because there were a couple of singer/musicians in the corner entertaining quite a big crowd in the bar/restaurant.

It's quite chilly tonight and it had been raining when we left the club, so the fireplace in the restaurant was very warm and welcoming.

The very friendly barman, Ryan, recommended a nice wine for me and BGWLBH enjoyed a Sangria while we waited for our dinner. I ordered a quinoa, beetroot and rocket salad with prawns, while BGWLBH had steak and vegetables with peppercorn sauce.

The atmosphere in the restaurant was very happy and relaxing and the music was from our generation with some Paul Kelly thrown in for good measure.

We were back in our room before 8pm and spent half an hour watching the previews for movies that we haven't seen yet and making a list to watch them when we get home.

I'm hoping for a nice sunrise tomorrow. There is a little cloud about, so with any luck, it could be pretty.

As I write this, I'm sitting up in my comfortable double bed watching an old movie on TV, but I think it will be an early night for both of us, considering our last two nights of broken, uncomfortable sleep. Got to catch up on some shut eye!

Nite all.

  

No comments: