Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Friday, July 3, 2015

Icy Icy Baby

Armidale - where they issue slips of paper to visitors with warnings about frozen water pipes, adding layers to your bedding to keep warm, icy roads (black ice) and driving through fog, warming your engine before driving off, depleted battery power due to the cold and using loyalty cards to scrape ice off your windscreen in the mornings.

At least they have electric blankets on the beds!

It is currently 1C and is expected to be -3C in the morning. Oh the joys of Winter road trips.

We plan on driving to the lookout where the famed Wedge-tailed Eagle looms from below the lookout, to within eye level, for hopefully some great shots with the long lens.

We'll take a picnic lunch and make a day of it, walking the trails and checking out whatever else mother nature has to offer.

We had a good drive today from Scone, stopping at Tamworth along the way to run some errands and do some shopping. Every time we visit Tamworth, it seems to have grown bigger. 

We reached Armidale by 2pm and immediately checked into the Tourist Park. I had booked a cabin with two bedrooms, each with a double bed, but they gave us a two bedroom, one with a double bed and one with two double bunks! So toddled back over to reception and using my most pleasant demeanour, asked for what I had booked.

At first, she said there was nothing available, but before she even finished the sentence, she corrected herself and said "Oh wait! Yes there is one cabin .. I'll just have to check that it's ready."

So we are settled in here for two nights and it looks like the kitchen/dining/living area has been newly renovated, with timber floorboards, new white kitchen cabinets with the soft closing drawers, a glass splashback, a new black leather couch and a big screen TV on the wall.

Very nice and very comfortable.

We attempted to see a movie this afternoon, but we could barely get through the front door for the crowds of kids, so we did a quick 'about face' and walked next door to the Exservicemen's Club instead. We were going to have dinner there, but decided to get Chinese takeaway and head back to the cabin.

Luckily, there were gluten free options available and we ordered a couple of chicken dishes with some fried rice. Quite delicious and satisfying. The menu does look good at the club though, so I hope we get to try that tomorrow night.

I will be attempting to watch some tennis tonight, with a couple of Aussies playing. Kyrgios is playing Raonic, and Tomic is playing Djokovic. They should be good matches.

Hopefully, tomorrow night, I will have the most fabulous photo of a Wedge-tailed Eagle to show you!

Nite all.   

No comments: