Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Wishing I'd done that.

It's difficult to find 'short' stories from the people currently undertaking the paleo lifestyle. Most of them have so many health issues that their stories are too long and detailed to post here (I know you would be bored with them - astonishing as they are!), but here is a nice short one with obvious results.

*Note to self-smile when taking selfies (took me until week 5 to do so!). When I started the 10 week program, I was too frightened to get on the scales, so I decided to take weekly selfies to see if I could notice any changes. I rarely weigh myself as I prefer to go by my clothes and how I am feeling. I am starting week 12 this week along with my husband. We haven't been 100% but have made big changes to our diet/way of life and are gradually introducing it into our children's diet as well (aged 9 & 11). I am sleeping better, my severe headaches have all but gone, I definitely have more energy and most importantly FEEL better within myself

These photos were taken on weeks 1,3,5,7 and today at the start of week 12.*


I wish I'd thought to take 'before', 'during' and 'after' photos during my paleo lifestyle change.

Something that I found interesting today ...

A large study coming from researchers at the Uppsala University in Sweden found that drinking milk led to an increased mortality rate and actually made bones more prone to fracturing, not less.

The study was recently published in the peer reviewed British Medical Journal, and was specifically conducted to examine whether high milk consumption is associated with mortality and fractures in both men and women.

The study took place across three different counties in Sweden, and used data from two large Swedish cohorts, one with 61,433 women aged approximately 39-74 years old and one with 45, 339 men aged approximately 45-79 years old. They were all administered food frequency questionnaires. The study used “multivariable survival models” that were “applied to determine the association between milk consumption and time to mortality and fracture.

To see the results and more of this story go here.

Anyway, I got some much needed study done today.

My first assignment is to create a 'Materia Medica' .. I know .. right?

Materia medica (English: medical material/substance) is a Latin medical term for the body of collected knowledge about the therapeutic properties of any substance used for healing (i.e., medicines).

The first assignment is a Materia Medica on a given selection of Vitamins and the second one is on Minerals.

I like it and I think it will be very interesting. So far, the only vitamin I've researched is Thiamine and there is a lot to learn, and record, about each vitamin. Apparently, this will be a very useful tool to refer to in my future, if I choose to become a professional Nutritionist or Naturopath, so I'd best do a good job of it!!

Had a great morning tea with three of the girls.  Mardi was there to celebrate her new status as grandmother and we were joined by Cuddlepot and Cuddlepie. Cuddlepie has sold her house and will be moving away soon, which is sad because she is well loved by many people in our circle. She's a laugh and a half.

Maid Marian and the Leggy Blonde didn't turn up, so I will have a bone to pick with them next time I see them!! You know who you are!!

We had our stove top replaced today, so all is right with my cooking world again :)

The two psychotic dogs who partook of the bird that they caught in the back yard are seriously struggling with their digestion at the moment. I'm hoping that the trouble will pass and won't require a trip to the vet, but they are feeling very sore and sorry for themselves right now. I doubt that they will have learned their lesson, but I hope I catch them BEFORE they consume it next time!!

Nite all.




No comments: