Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Friday, May 8, 2015

Week's End

At the Tuesday night monthly barbecue, I ate rice salad and potato salad ... something that I've avoided for about 5 months, meaning, I haven't had rice or potato for at least 5 months.

I woke up on Wednesday morning in extreme pain. My joints hurt .. today is Friday and my joints are still sore, but not to the same extent. I think I've learnt my lesson and will avoid both rice and potato in future.

Eating those two foods is the only thing that I did outside my normal routine, so that's why I place the blame there for my pain.

This is how my body felt every day before I changed to Paleo eating. It only took two or three weeks before the pain disappeared completely, but it only takes one meal that includes dairy, grains, sugar or carbs for the pain to return.

Most commonly, gluten intolerance or celiac disease causes the most problems .. even if you don't suffer from physical symptoms, it actually takes months for your body to recover from one small discrepancy, so if you take a risk just once every month or two, your body is constantly trying to recover and will never enjoy the benefits of being 'gluten free'.

The same goes for dairy/casein/lactose intolerance, and I guess any allergy.

Sleep is important for your body to recover from these things and I only have myself to blame for sleeping poorly this week because I haven't gone to bed until well after midnight most nights, and then had to wake up to work at 6-6.30am.

I can feel my body struggling. It's especially noticeable because I have felt so good for the last 4-5 months, sleeping well, eating well, feeling full of energy and being pain free, so it's a real shock to the system to be feeling so poorly this week.

It's a hard lesson learned and now I know to be more vigilant with my eating and sleeping habits.

Anyway, it's 9.30pm and I need an early night, so I shall sign off now and head to bed.  Looking forward to Mardi's birthday dinner tomorrow night.

Nite all.

No comments: