Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Monday, April 27, 2015

More Sugar Fun

I know you all love it when I push the dangers of sugar. I have friends who tell me "What!? I love sugar! I don't want to know how bad it is for me!"

These are the same friends who are very overweight, taking prescription medication for either heart disease, blood pressure or diabetes and would prefer to eat the sweet stuff than make even a small attempt to fix their disease without drugs.

This is where I give myself a forehead slap ... *SLAP*

Even my boys at the boat ramp, who are ALL on prescription medication for 'something', laugh at me about sugar. They announce that they are going home to eat a 'four star' breakfast (in reference to the heart foundation's star rating for their breakfast cereal).

Oh the frustration of it all.

I know that they do it on purpose and I know not to take the bait that they deliberately toss to me, but knowing that their health could be improved and their quality of life in the twilight years could be so much more enjoyable, is like a knife to my heart with every jibe.

There is a concerted effort, by myself and other interested parties, to have "That Sugar Film" screened in either Hervey Bay or Maryborough in May or July.



Another documentary, "Sugar Coated", has it's screen debut in Canada this week and I'm hoping that it will find it's way down under in the near future.

I have four days left to get a photo for "The Decisive Moment" flickr challenge. Cutting it fine, but I almost got a great shot this morning when a Brahminy Kite attempted to steal a fish from a cormorant in the water. So close and yet so far!


It seems we have some heavy weather heading our way later in the week. Not keen on that idea but I am LOVING the cool nights and cold mornings for snuggling under the blankets and sleeping well.

I'm off to cook dinner now, so ...

Nite all.

No comments: